With daylight lasting a bit longer each day, I’m sure many of you like me are anticipating the warmer, sunnier weather too. Unfortunately, while you may be ready for spring to come, your skin may not be. Winter dries out our skin, often leaving it dull, rough, scaly, peeling and even older looking so naturally prepping your face and skin for the warmer weather begins with exfoliating.
Exfoliating Your Skin
In addition to removing dead skin cells, exfoliating also removes dirt from pores, which can lead to acne. It adds to a more youthful appearance by revealing smoother, fresh skin and stimulating blood flow to the skin through the upwards massaging of the face in a circular motion.
How often to exfoliate: If you are just beginning to exfoliate or have sensitive skin or easily inflamed skin from rosacea or acne, you want to begin with once or twice a week. Once your skin gets accommodated to exfoliation, you can begin moderate and gentle exfoliation every other day or even once or twice daily. It’s recommended to gently exfoliate regularly rather than use a strong exfoliater once or twice a week.
Exfoliating tip: Use a daily a moisturizer or serum daily which contains Vitamin A, AHA, BHA or proteolytic enzymes to mildly exfoliate your skin regularly.
Other ways to exfoliate your skin:
- An exfoliating cleanser or scrub
- An exfoliating brush
- Exfoliating gloves
- Exfoliating masks and peels
- Exfoliating creams
After cleansing and especially after exfoliating, moisturizing your skin immediately is imperative to retaining the appearance of your freshly revealed skin. With the warmer weather, you may wish to switch to a lighter moisturizer. It is very important to choose a moisturizer with SPF in it, ideally with at least 30 SPF. If you are going to be in the sun for an extended period of time, try to apply at least 20 minutes before going out and reapply after sweating profusely or swimming.
Moisturizing tip: Moisturize your face by gently patting your face with your fingertips, avoid pulling or stretching your face as this encourages wrinkles. Apply moisturizer as soon as you have towel dried your face to help lock in the moisture and within 3 minutes coming out of the shower to the rest of your skin.
Supplementary moisturizing products:
- Toners – You can help prepare your skin for moisturizer by applying a toner, which can provide extra moisture, refresh the skin, restore the skin’s PH balance and add an additional layer of protection by shrinking pores.
- Serums – Serums like our Monodermà products offer your skin complementary moisture and help combat particular areas of improvement such as wrinkles, melasma, sun damage, etc. with a concentrated formula of active ingredients, so only small doses are required at a time.
- Face Masks – While you can purchase ready-made face masks from the drug store, we always encourage all natural, homemade remedies with some basic ingredients from your own kitchen. Here’s one we found from Pure Wow, which sloughs off dead skin, moisturizes and only requires 3 simple ingredients!
The Mayo Mask
Makes 3 masks
- 1 tablespoon of homemade or organic mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of orange juice (not from concentrate)
- 2 tablespoons of corn flour
- Stir all three ingredients together.
- For best results, apply with fingers and let dry. The corn will not dissolve into in the solution and will be a bit grainy, so be gentle when applying.
- Once dry, remove gently with lukewarm water and pat skin dry with a towel.
- Store the remaining mixture in a sealed container and use within a few days.
Happy Spring Skin Cleaning! For more information or comments about any of the above products, leave me a message below and we’ll chat soon!